Skip to content
Make a donation

Go back, go back to your home - We don't have a home.

Date & Time 2022-12-14
Location Border area in Velika Kladusa
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 45.19505905, 15.79157915
Pushback from Croatia
Pushback to Bosnia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved
WLTI* involved?
Men involved?
Group size? 6
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 3
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other)
Police involved? 3 small police cars, 3 Croatian border officers

On Wednesday, 14th of December 2022, a 30-year-old man from Afghanistan was pushed back from Croatia to Bosnia and Herzegovina, around the border area in Velika Kladusa. The pushback happened in the early morning hours (2 am). It was his second attempt to cross the Bosnian-Croation border.

The transit group consisted of ten young men, the youngest one being a minor, 16 years old. All members are aged between 16 and 30 years old but the respondent could not tell their exact ages. All of them were born in Afghanistan. 

They tried to cross Croatia by foot. The respondent stated that they started walking around 1.20 am in the night, starting point in Velika Kladusa, and walked for 40 minutes without stopping. When reaching the border, 3 small police cars pulled up. While 4 men already managed to cross the border, 1 police car came towards the others. The 6 men leftover were apprehended by 3 men in dark blue uniforms with black face masks. The description of the uniforms matches the uniforms worn by the Croatian Police. 

The respondent stated that the officers started screaming: “Go back, go back now”. Followed by: “Go back to your home”, to which the respondent replied: “We don’t have a home”. The transit group started running back while the police chased them, the respondent described. The minor of the transit group got catched by two officers. One of the officers held him down while the other officer beat him. Afterwards they pushed him away while he tried to follow the rest of the transit group.

The transit group needed 2 hours to reach back to a squat in Velika Kladusa. The respondent said that everyone was very cold, very tired and they had to stop several times to recover and take some rest.