Skip to content
Support our work

Please give me my phone because I want to talk to my family

Date & Time 2023-01-12
Location Sremska Rača, Bosnia
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 44.9099593, 19.296741
Pushback from Bosnia
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station unknown
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age unknown - unknown
Group size 3
Countries of origin Morocco
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, no translator present
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 4
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, dog attacks, forcing to undress, theft of personal belongings
Police involved 4 Bosnian police officers wearing black uniforms with a police patch on the arm

In the night of Thursday, the 12th of January three men from Morocco left Serbia and crossed the border to enter Bosnia Herzegovina. They were stopped and apprehended at 3:30 am inside Bosnian territory by four people that the respondent describes as wearing black uniforms with a police sign on the arm, written in Bosnian language. They had two dogs with them.

The respondent recalls that two people ran away, while he was chased by the two police dogs. One of the dogs bit him in the leg, and he fell. When the officers arrived there, one of them reportedly beat the respondent and said “Go, go”. The officer brought the respondent to what he describes like a “White aluminum border guard house” close to the border, on the Bosnian side. He brought him into a room and asked him: “Where are you from?” and the respondent answered: “Morocco”. The officer, at that point, started beat him with a baton on the arms and on the legs. With his boots he kicked him on his genitals. At that point, the other officer entered the house and stopped the first one from hurting the respondent again. They brought the respondent outside, he tried to walk normally but he was in a lot of pain.

The officers walked him across the river bordering Serbia in the area of Sremska Rača and told him: “Never come back to Bosnia”. He replied: “Okay I won’t come back to Bosnia”. The respondent then recalls that the two officers stole his money and his phone. He was wearing two pairs of trousers: they reportedly removed one and took the money that he was carrying in his underwear. He said “Please give me my phone because I want to talk to my family”. They answered: “No phone, don’t come back here”. At that point he begged: “Please just the phone, I don’t want the money” and they said: “Shut up. Shut up”. Then, at around 5 am, they were forced back to Serbia.