Skip to content
Support our work

Push back reported in Vitaminka

Date & Time 2022-08-26
Location Roszke Hungary
Reported by Collective Aid
Coordinates 46.17016278, 19.94711294
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 24 - 24
Group size 3
Countries of origin Morocco
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, photos taken, no translator present, denial of access to toilets, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 2
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, pushing people to the ground, insulting, pepper spray, threatening with guns
Police involved 2+ Hungarian police officers

The reportee was a 28-year-old Moroccan man who later went to MVI for injuries on his forehead. He did not speak English, and so a friend translated from Arabic into English.

At around 2 AM, the respondent and two friends attempted to cross into Hungary, crossing the first fence they encountered.

The transit group reached the second fence at around 2:10 AM, and were pulled down and caught. The three were told to lie down and keep their faces down.

From 2:10 AM to 2:50 AM [for forty minutes] they were kept lying face down on the ground and were beaten. The respondent said he blacked out multiple times due to being hit in the back of the head by a rifle butt. His forehead was severely lacerated because of being hit in the back of the head and headbutting the ground. He was beaten with a button on the arm, torso, and legs. He had his ankles stamped on multiple times throughout the forty minutes. The respondent identified the person who was beating the three of them as a Hungarian police officer. One of his friends was subjected to multiple close-range pepper spray bursts, many to the face – several days later, the welts are continuing to cause severe pain.

At around 2:50 AM, the respondent recalls waking up and the transit group being told they were to walk to a container. Because of his head injuries, he couldn’t remember where it was or how many officers escorted them. When they arrived the three were locked in the container. The container was dark and cold, there was no food, no water, and no toilet. Shortly after they arrived, a Syria man also entered the container who had both of his legs broken. The respondent said it was too dark to identify whether it was the same officer(s) who had escorted him to the container.

After an hour and a half [4:20 AM], the container was opened and each individual had their photo taken by an officer. They were then taken to a spot close to where they had initially crossed and were pushed back.