Skip to content
Support our work

« We were 50, it was not possible to sit or breathe »

Date & Time 2021-08-30
Location Near Rözske, Hungary
Reported by Collective Aid
Coordinates 46.24526089, 20.02391845
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved yes
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 15 - 40
Group size 50
Countries of origin Afghanistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, photos taken, no translator present, denial of access to toilets, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 8
Violence used no violence used
Police involved 8 uniformed men (including 2 German speakers), 2 vans (including one with German inscription/Blue emblem)

The respondent, as part of a group of 13 people from Afghanistan, including one woman and 2-4 minors, tried to cross the Serbia-Hungary border on the 28th of August, the respondent stated. According to him, they left from Horgos and walked for about 4 hours until they reached a spot in the forest near road 55, where they made a halt. He stated that they waited there for two nights. On the morning of the 30th of August, around 8am, what is described as a Hungarian Police patrol appeared. The respondent recalled seeing a drone flying over the location beforehand.

The vehicle was described as a van equipped with computers and high tech equipment. The respondent further described the vehicle as displaying a blue logo and the German inscription « Polizei ». He also believes that he heard the officers speaking German.

According to his statement, a second patrol then joined the group, bringing the total of men in uniform present on the scene to 8.

The respondent reported that the group was then brought to a container near the border. « We were 50, it was not possible to sit or breathe », recalled the repondent.

He stated that a woman among the detainees informed the uniformed men of her intention to claim asylum but her demand was reportedly ignored. None of the detainees had access to water, food or toilet during the 3 hours they spent locked in this room, the interviewee claimed.

He reported that the members of the group were then summoned to exit the detention area by pairs. He described that they walked in line to the border door for 30 minutes, escorted by several uniformed men, including some described as wearing camouflage uniforms.

The respondent said that once they reached the border point, they were all asked to kneel down. According to him, a picture of each of them was taken. Each individual was then reportedly ordered to walk through the door that leads to the Serbian side of the border. The interviewee claimed that a Hungarian man in uniform filmed the whole process.