Skip to content
Support our work

The interviewee was beaten so severely, that he broke some fingers on his right hand

Date & Time 2017-12-24
Location Near Kelebija, Hungary
Reported by Rigardu
Coordinates 46.18059305, 19.5556641
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station unknown
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age 20 - 30
Group size 10
Countries of origin Pakistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved unknown
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, destruction of personal belongings
Police involved Hungarian border police officers (male, both in uniforms and civils), 2-3 Hungarian army personnel with dogs

On December 23rd. 2017, 10 men from Pakistan, all about 20-30 years old, walked from Serbia across the Hungarian border. At around 11pm. on the following night of December 24th., they were stopped by several police officers described as Hungarian border police officials, all male, some in uniforms and others in civilian clothes, and what they reported were 2-3 Hungarian “army personnel” with dogs and cars in a forest. The men expressed their intention to seek asylum. The police officers searched their bodies and belongings. They checked their money and mobile phones and broke one of them. They interrogated the men, took pictures, wrote down their personal details and asked them to sign papers. No fingerprints were taken, and no written documents were given to them.

The police proceeded to beat the men, one by one, with hands and stick, and kicking on all parts of their body, for what the respondent described as about 10 minutes in total. The interviewee was beaten so severely, that he broke some fingers on his right hand. The men stayed at this location for about 2-3 hours. Afterwards they were transported to the Serbian-Hungarian border near Kelebija Serbia, where they arrived early the following morning. The police ordered the men to go back to Serbia, so they returned to the Serbian side. When the interviewee managed to go back to Subotica, he still suffered extensive pain and had to visit a hospital there. His fingers were broken, so the doctors put a cast on, which the man had to wear for several weeks.