Skip to content
Support our work

The Hungarian police yelled “Fuck you, fuck you!” repeatedly

Date & Time 2023-07-15
Location Röszke-Horgoš border crossing, Hungary
Reported by Anonymous
Coordinates 46.177943500002, 19.994922213055
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age 35
Group size 12
Countries of origin Afghanistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 12
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, electric shock, theft of personal belongings
Police involved 10 Hungarian police officers, all in navy blue uniforms withh Hungarian flags on their arms

The respondent is a 35 year old man from Afghanistan who was travelling in a group of 12 other people from Afghanistan. They were all male, and there were no women or children present.

It was roughly 3:00pm when the group had crossed over the border from Horgoš, Serbia and had been walking for 10-15 minutes before they were stopped by 3 men in navy blue uniforms. The respondent identified them as Hungarian police officers with Hungarian flags on their arm bands. After they had been apprehended, 10 more officers, in the same uniform, joined them. All of the officers were male, except for one.

Four of the twelve men from the transit group, including the respondent, were reportedly beaten by two officers with batons. They were beaten while they were standing. According to the respondent, they were hit repeatedly on the legs, on their arms, and on their sides.

Injury sustained by the respondent on his knee resulting from the violence perpetrated by the officers during the pushback

The respondent also reported that several of the men were shocked with an electric taser.

The officers took one power bank from the group, and 100 euros from one of the men. They also took 200 euros from the respondent. The respondent described that, throughout the entire interaction, the Hungarian police yelled “Fuck you, fuck you!” repeatedly.

After that, they were taken to a large white van and driven back to the Serbian border. They were dropped off at the Horgoš border crossing, near the petrol station, and forced to cross back to Serbia. They were back in Serbia after about one hour after apprehension, 4:00pm.