Skip to content
Support our work

The police fired the gun when they caught us

Date & Time 2023-06-19
Location Röszke, Horgoš, Serbia
Reported by Anonymous Partner
Coordinates 46.175862550466, 19.97864314955
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age unknown
Group size 2
Countries of origin Afghanistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention photos taken, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 2
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), threatening with guns, gunshots
Police involved 2 Hungarian border officers, 1 Black Lexus 4x4 Car

In the early morning of June 19th, the respondent, a man from Afghanistan, and a group of another 30 people crossed the border fence into Hungary. Approximately 2km into Hungarian territory, 1 police vehicle arrived, described by the respondent as a 4×4 black Lexus. Inside, there were 2 armed uniformed men, identified by the respondent as Hungarian police officers. They immediately jumped out of the car and ordered the group to stop. 28 people ran away and escaped the police, however, the respondent and his friend were apprehended. According to the respondent, when the officers got out of the car, they pointed their guns at the respondent and fired the gun in a different direction to scare them. They continued to threaten the respondent with the gun when they apprehended him, and when they reached him they reportedly hit him repeatedly with a baton. The respondent suffered severe bruising and swelling of his collarbone where he had been hit, that was visible at the time of the interview. The respondent also described that, when he was apprehended, he asked the officers for water, however, they refused and beat him more.


After the respondent and his friend were apprehended and beaten, they were walked to a big bus. On the bus were many people who had also been apprehended. They were then driven to the border gate at Röszke. According to the respondent, officers at the border took pictures of them before pushing them back through the border gate. The respondent and his friend were forced through the gate at approximately 11 am.