Skip to content
Support our work

 One of the officers kept beating and insulting us.  He stomped on my friend's knee and it caused him severe pain

Date & Time 2022-03-15
Location Makó, Hungary
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 46.20349515, 20.45431899
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age unknown
Group size 6
Countries of origin Syria, Iraq
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved unknown
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), pushing people to the ground, insulting
Police involved 3 Hungarian officers, 1 police van

On March 14 at 10 pm, the respondent and 5 other men from Iraq and Syria, left the village of Majdan in Serbia. The group crossed the Romanian border heading toward Hungary. 

The respondent explained that the group could not reach the border of Hungary before dawn, so they decided to sleep in Romanian until sunset, when the sun set, the group started walking again, heading to Hungary. 

The group then crossed the Hungarian border and kept walking for about 10 km. At 00:30 on March 15, the respondent described that they were stopped by officers who he identified as being Hungarian police officers because of the uniforms they were wearing. This happened at the entrance of the Hungarian city of Mako more precisely at the bridge at the entrance of the city. The respondent described that they encountered 3 people in Hungarian police uniforms:

« one of them kept beating and insulting us.  He stomped on my friend’s knee and it caused him severe pain ». 

Then the respondent described police officers throwing the group to the ground and handcuffing them all together. 

« they left us on the ground until a police van came, they put us in the van and transferred us to the police station located in the border area between Hungary and Serbia around the town of Horgos ». 

At the police station, the group was searched, but without police taking their personal belongings. After the search, the respondent explained that officers took the group to a border gate and brought them back to Serbia without asking them if they wanted to apply for asylum or not.

« At around 02:00 we were back in Serbia »