Skip to content
Support our work

Last time I went on the 'game', it was again like being inside of a horror movie.

Date & Time 2019-03-22
Location Croatia, one day walking from the Serbian border
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 42.70118368, 21.60120231
Pushback from Croatia
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved yes
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age 12 - 13
Group size 32
Countries of origin Afghanistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention personal information taken, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking
Police involved Croatian local police, unknown number

A. actually lives in the old Grafosrem factory in the small border village of Sid (Serbia). Since the individual left Kabul, it has been a long way crossing borders and countries such as Iran, Turkey and now the Balkans.

“Last time I went on the ‘game’, it was again like being inside of a horror movie.”

Three days outside of the squat for nothing, only more frustration. The group of 35 people on the move was walking on a Croatian road, but split up in smaller groups of about ten people. When the police discovered them, they managed to escape by running into a forest. After A. had walked many hours, the police found them again. They caught everybody, beating all, even the three children around 12 and 13 years old. Police attacked them with sticks, hitting their heads and legs without making any distinctions. They further took the money and mobile phones, which they never returned.

Afterwards, the group was brought to a Croatian police station, obligated to stay there in silence for three hours, beside answering the officer’s questions:

“Where do you go? Why you stay in the forest?”

A. had to give personal data, e.g. his mothers and fathers names and his date and place of birth. During the process, the police officers remained silent, not giving any information about the situation or their rights and didn’t provide them with water.

After three hours, some people were sent to the jail and A. and the others were deported back to Serbia by car.

Reported in English on March 24, 2019.