Skip to content
Support our work

The group was forced to walk through a river to reach the other side of the border.

Date & Time 2021-05-17
Location Šturlić, BiH
Reported by Anonymous Partner
Coordinates 45.0617601, 15.7824857
Pushback from Croatia
Pushback to Bosnia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 20 - 32
Group size 12
Countries of origin Pakistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, no translator present, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved unknown
Violence used destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings, reckless driving
Police involved officers in green uniform; 2 officers, blue uniform, 1 van

The respondent was apprehended by authorities on May 17th at around 5 o’clock in the evening. He and his group of 11 people had been walking for about 3 days, when what he reports as Croatian authorities apprehended them in the forest, close to the road E71 in Croatia. The officers were wearing green uniforms. After they apprehended the group, the officers called for further authorities. After about one hour at around 6 pm, one white van arrived with two officers inside. They were wearing blue uniforms and told the group to get in the back of the car. Before the group entered, the officers took everyone’s belongings: backpacks, sleeping bags, jackets, phones, power banks, and money.

The group was taken to what the respondent describes as a police station. There they were kept in detention for about 2 hours. During this time, the group was denied any food or water. Further, there was no translator present who could make communication between the police and the people possible.

At around 8 o’clock, after two hours of detention, the group was ordered to leave the cell and get into another white van that would drive them to the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina. Due to reckless driving, many people in the group had to vomit. The drive lasted for about 1 hour.  After that, the group was released at the border to Šturlić, BiH, the respondent recalls.

The police officers at the border were screaming at them “go, go, go!”. The group was forced to walk through a river to reach the other side of the border. This happened at around 9-10 pm. From Šturlić the group walked for many hours to reach their point of departure. They reached Lipa camp in the early morning of the 18 of May.