Skip to content
Support our work

From North Macedonia to Greece

Date & Time 2020-02-05
Location Alongside the railway that connect Thessaloniki with Bitola
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 41.12854154, 22.51471478
Pushback from North Macedonia
Pushback to Greece
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 25 - 25
Group size 4
Countries of origin Morocco
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, personal information taken, no translator present
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 9
Violence used no violence used
Police involved Army officers

On Friday 1st May 2020, the respondent together with three more people from Morocco attempted to cross from Greece to North Macedonia. Around 18:00 or 19:00 of that day, the transit group of four were caught in the train in which they were traveling as stowaways. Although the specific location is unknown, the respondent states it was North Macedonian territory. He also also asserts that the officers who found them in the train were wearing army clothes (green uniforms) and carrying big guns. There were between 6 or 7 officers. They asked the transit group for their bags and took all their clothes from their backpacks, and only gave back their food.

After this, three army officer transferred them by a van, white colour, in which the group in transit were sat in the rear, as there were chairs in the backside of the vehicle. They took them to an “office” building. The respondent shared that he didn’t know what kind of facility it was, describing it as a “building with one floor, surrounded by a fence; inside the place there were two small rooms and one big room”. The respondent stated it was like an “army station, not police station”. They waited inside for seven hours, and officers asked them their names, where they come from and other questions according to the respondent. They were not fingerprinted or taken pictures or given any document.

At 03:00 or 04:00 on 2nd May 2020, the group in transit were taken to the border with Greece guarded by three police officer. Those told them: “go!” after opening a door in the fence. They did not insult or exercise violence against the respondent. In Greece, they walked like 45 minutes till they arrived to one train station to come back to Thessaloniki.