Skip to content
Support our work

He once again expressed his intention to seek asylum, but the police answered that he would not get it

Date & Time 2017-10-23
Location Samobor, Croatia
Reported by Rigardu
Coordinates 45.81144, 15.64482
Pushback from Croatia
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved yes
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age 16 - 16
Group size 1
Countries of origin Pakistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention fingerprints taken, photos taken, personal information taken
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved unknown
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking
Police involved Catchment: 6 Slovenian male police/ Violence: 6-7 Croatian male border police in black border police uniforms (around 35 years old)/ Detention: several Croatian police, both male and female, in blue and black uniforms/ Deportation: 5 Croatian male police

A 16 year old person from Pakistan, walked for 3 days from Sid across the border to the Croatian side, and continued in the back of a small van to the Croatian-Slovenian border and walked to the Slovenian side. He was caught about 10km. before the Slovenian-Italian border, by 6 police officers described at Slovenian, on Monday October 23rd. at about at 6 am. The man expressed his intention to seek asylum, but the police answered that he needed to ask in Croatia. After a while the police transported him in a police van to the Slovenian-Croatian border, to the place where the Croatian border police monitors the border. 6-7 police officers, in black border police uniforms, were waiting for him – the respondent asserted that they were Croatian police.

The police searched his baggage and body, and asked for his personal details. He once again expressed his intention to seek asylum, but the police answered that he would not get it, and complained that refugees go to Slovenia, get deported and try to apply for asylum in Croatia. The man said he was sorry. Afterwards at about 7am. two of the police officers violently attacked him. One officer slapped him with open hand and the other was kicking him in the lower back. The violent incident lasted a few minutes. The man had pain in his back for the next days.

Afterwards, 2 other people on the move arrived in some other police cars, and the three were transported in a big police van (described as blue-black) driven by two police officers, to Zagreb. The interviewee was taken to Zagreb’s main police station, where he arrived at about 2pm., and the two other people on the move went to another police station. At the station the man expressed his intention to seek asylum, and the officers took his registration. The police took his fingerprints and photos and the man was asked to write down his personal details. Afterwards he spent the night in a cell until the next morning, October 24th. at 11am., about 21 hours in total. The 5 police officers transported him in what was described as a big black police van to the Croatian-Serbian border, to the Croatian side near Batrovci.

The police ordered him to go back to Serbia. He asked for his registration papers, but they did not hand them over. After the push back the man returned to Sid.