Skip to content
Support our work

"They put a gun to my head."

Date & Time 2022-10-25
Location Near Majdan squat, Serbia
Reported by Collective Aid
Coordinates 46.10445261, 20.26812189
Pushback from Romania
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved yes
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age unknown
Group size 4
Countries of origin Syria
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 2
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), threatening with guns, destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings
Police involved Two Romanian officers

Around 5:00 pm on October the 25th, 2022, four minors from Syria left the Majdan squat on foot and then crossed into Romania. The young men had walked about five kilometres into Romanian before two Romanian officers stopped them.
For about fifty minutes, the two officers reportedly humiliated and tortured the men. According to the respondent, one officer put his gun to the respondent’s head and told him to close his eyes. The officers also reportedly told the young men to lie on the ground, whereupon they proceeded to urinate close to the men’s heads. The men were also reportedly beaten with batons, which left large bruises and welts on all of the group members. One even possibly suffered a hand fracture (see attached photos). The officers then took reportedly the men’s mobiles and some of their clothes, arranged them in a pile, and then set them alight. All of them men had money stolen from them, ranging from one hundred euros to 350.

The officer who reportedly threatened the respondent with the gun is well known among the men at the Majdan squat. He has a reputation for brutality and theft. Over the past fifty days, the men at Majdan estimate he has stolen approximate 3,600 euros from people-on-the move. The respondent described the officer as bald and having an erring. During the attack, he was described to be dressed all in black and wore a balaclava.

After the attack, the officers let the group members go, and they returned to the Majdan squat.