Skip to content
Support our work

Please, please stop. They were laughing and insulting us while they were beating us.

Date & Time 2023-02-13
Location Mórahalom, 6782 Hungary
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 46.174667, 19.926262
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 21 - 30
Group size 16
Countries of origin Morocco
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 6
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, insulting, pepper spray, theft of personal belongings
Police involved 4 Hungarian police officers; 2 officers dressed in green uniforms speaking a foreign language; 3 4x4 police cars

On the 13th of February a group of 16 people, all from Morocco aged between 21 to 30, was pushed back from Hungary to Serbia, near the city of Morhalaom (Hungary).

The respondents are two 21 years old young Moroccan men.

The respondents state that, in the night between the 12th and the 13th of February around 3am,  they were walking towards the Serbian-Hungarian border fence and part of the group , exactly 6 people, were trying to climb over it with a ladder when 3 cars described as 4×4 showed up. The respondents recall that they saw 6 men dressed in uniforms inside the car. They also recount that 4 of them were wearing a blue navy uniform and the Hungarian police patch on the arm; the 2 men left, instead,  were wearing green uniforms, and they reportedly spoke a foreign language, the patch is unknown.

According to the respondents, the gruoup was apprehended right after crossing the border. One of them tried to go back to the Serbian side by himself to escape from the men in uniforms but he reportedly fell down from the fence, cutting deeply his hand with the barbed wire.

One of the respondents recalls that one man in uniform first used pepper spray against him and then started beating him with his baton while laughing at him. The young men reports that he said: “Please, please stop.”, and the man that was beating him replied:

Are you Moroccan? Muslim? So, I will not stop.

The men report that they were not even able to talk, because every time they tried to do so they were beaten by the officers described above.

Reportedly, the men in uniforms took 310 euros from the group members overall, and their phones. Nonetheless, when the pushback was over, the phones were given back to their owners.

Around 7 AM the group was brought to the Serbian border with the cars by the officers. One of the respondents recalls that one of the men in uniforms, of massive build, opened the door of the car and he beat him on his back with the baton, before releasing him and sending him back over the border.