Skip to content
Support our work

They forced me to give my fingerprints, I don't know what to do now

Date & Time 2022-09-19
Location Ancona, Italy
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 43.62181983, 13.50703601
Pushback from Italy
Pushback to Greece
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 23 - 23
Group size 1
Countries of origin Iraq
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, fingerprints taken, no translator present, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 7
Violence used exposure to air condition and extreme temperature during car ride, deprivation of water and food
Police involved 1 port security guard and 2 Italian police officers and 5 Greek officers

The respondent is a 23-year-old boy from Iraq. On the week of the 19th of september (he could not remember which day), he tried to hide under a truck that was on its way to Italy. The truck went on a ferry from Minoan Lines and left the port of Igoumenitsa around 12 AM.

According to the respondent, approximately 18 hours later, the ship arrived at Italian port, Ancona. Then, the truck left the ferry and went into a space that the respondent said looked like a garage. There, a port security guard began an inspection of all the trucks present. He eventually found the respondent under the truck. He then brought him to two Italian officers who handcuffed him, took his phone and brought him to “jail” according to the words of the boy. There, 3 officers forced him to give his fingerprints and locked him up into a very small room “3m by 3m maximum” as he said. He stayed in this very dirty room  for approximately 20 hours and no one gave him food and water.

The respondent remembered being taken back on a boat when it was dark. For the return trip, the port security guards, put him on a very small room, without giving him water and food. When he arrived back in Igoumenitsa he was taken by two officers into a very dirty “jail” for 4 days and was then taken by car approximately 36 kilometres away from the city of Igoumenitsa. He then said he got his phone back.