Skip to content
Support our work

Removed from a train in Vác and passport confiscated

Date & Time 2022-01-01
Location Vác, Hungary
Reported by Collective Aid
Coordinates 47.78276732, 19.13305379
Pushback from Hungary
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age unknown
Group size 7
Countries of origin Palestine, Syria, Morocco
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, photos taken, personal information taken, denial of food/water
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 5
Violence used no violence used
Police involved 5 Hungarian police officers including 1 Arabic translator, 2 wearing dark navy uniform with police insignia, and 3 wearing light blue uniform with police insignia, 1 police van

The respondents are two Syrian men who reported that they had previously crossed the border from Romania to Hungary and then traveled to Budapest.

On 31/12/2021 they boarded a 11:40 train from Budapest train station, heading for Bratislava, Slovakia.

The train was stopped at the town of Vác. The respondents reported that five people they believed were Hungarian officers entered the train, including one Arabic translator. According to the respondents, two of the officers were wearing a navy uniform and three officers were wearing a light blue uniform, all with police insignia.

The respondents explained that they clearly expressed their intent to request asylum. They were told “no asylum, you must return”.

The two respondents then described that they were put into a police van, which already contained four Moroccan men and one Palestinian man who had already been taken off the same train.

According to the respondents, the seven men were taken to Vác police station. All their personal items were taken but all were returned, with the exception of a passport taken from one of the respondents. This was never returned.

They report that they were not questioned in a formal interview. They were made to write their name on a piece of paper, and each person individually had their picture taken, showing their face and them holding this paper.

They were kept for approximately 12 hours before being returned to Serbia. Both of the respondents explained that their requests for food and water were denied.