Skip to content
Support our work

One guy was trying to escape while being beaten, but he slipped down and very badly injured his back so that he could not walk anymore

Date & Time 2018-11-07
Location Croatian-Slovenian border, Croatia
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 45.49439711, 15.28536296
Pushback from Croatia, Slovenia
Pushback to Bosnia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved no
Age unknown
Group size 8
Countries of origin Afghanistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, fingerprints taken, personal information taken
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved unknown
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings
Police involved

The respondent reports that he left Velika Kladusa with his three friends and was walking for six days until they reached Slovenia. None of them had a battery in their phone anymore and decided to ask the local people to charge their phones in their house. A local woman suggested to the men to call the Slovenian police
who could help them to claim asylum in Slovenia, and the men agreed. Slovenian police brought the men into a police station and questioned them about how they reached Slovenia, their nationality, and took their finger prints to identify them as none of them had a passport (2018-07-11 12:00:00).

The men asked the police if they could apply for asylum in Slovenia, but the police said to them that the asylum procedure was closed for them, without explaining any reasons. After that, the men were detained in a police station for one night. Around 3 pm the next day, a police officer came and told the men that they were going to be transported to a Slovenian refugee camp. However, the men were taken to a prison instead of a camp, where they stayed for the following two days.

While the respondent was detained in the prison, the police accused him of being a smuggler, based on information from his friends, which the respondent denied. Two days later he and other 7 men, whom he did not know, were being deported by car back to Bosnia. When they arrived close to the Bosnian border, the police man who was transporting them struggled to find the way to Bosnia, so he asked for directions in a local police office (unknown place), where they offered him to take over the deportation of the men. Once the men reached the Bosnian border, two police officers took their phones and broke them, and searched through their pockets for money. The police officers stole in total 600 euros from the men, and afterwards they physically attacked all of them.

“They [police officers] took four people out of the car and beat them with metal batons. When they stopped beating them, they took other four from a car for the second round, and I was in that group. One guy was trying to escape while being beaten, but he slipped down and very badly injured his back that he could not
walk anymore. I went out of the car and they were holding my hood and beating me with a baton into my back, leg, and my face. They [police] did not want to let me go and continue beating me.”

The respondent and the other men managed to escape and were running into Bosnian territory, trying to carry the man who injured his back. The Croatian police were chasing them and searching for them in the Bosnian land, but they gave up when they could not see the men any more. Then the respondent called the Bosnian police who arrived and were very kind to the men, transported them back to Velika Kladusa, and took them to the hospital for a medical treatment.