Skip to content
Support our work

Three people, including two minors, were hit on the back of the head numerous times with the back of a large gun

Date & Time 2017-11-06
Location Tovarnik, Croatia
Reported by Rigardu
Coordinates 45.157008, 19.171075
Pushback from Croatia
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station no
Minors involved yes
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age unknown
Group size 6
Countries of origin Algeria
Treatment at police station or other place of detention
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 10
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings, hit in the head with the back of a large gun
Police involved 10 policemen, wore balaclavas

On june 11th 2017, six men from Algeria (3 minors, 16 & 17 years old, and 3 adults) were in a train container heading to Slovenia when the train was intercepted by police at the Croatian customs in Tovarnik. There were 10 police officers present when the group was found inside the train. Three members of the Algerian group attempted to run and were individually tasered in the abdomen and buttocks.

The police forced the whole group to sit on the ground, while awaiting another police van, which transported them to an electricity building. While waiting, they asked the group for documents and the group said they had none. They were asked where they were going and they answered Slovenia. The response from the police was that Slovenia was closed and that they must go back. The group told the police that they were not refugees but migrants. Two vans took the group to the building, one van for the 10 policemen and one for the Algerians.

Upon arrival the police, now all wearing balaclavas to disguise their faces, took each person out of the van, and one by one started beating them. First, they shined lights in their eyes and four policemen attacked each person, starting with punches to the face (police wearing combat gloves). Then batons were used to beat the persons repeatedly in the torso, head and legs. The police had metal toe caps on their boots and they kicked people repeatedly on the floor. Some people lost consciousness.

Three people, including two minors, were hit on the back of the head numerous times with the back of a large gun. The police took all valuable items from the group including mobile phones and considerable quantities of money (300, 500, 700 Euro from 3 members of the group). Afterwards the group was told to go back to Serbia and they did so independently.