Skip to content
Support our work

4-5 police officers collected information from him and detained him in a cell [..]

Date & Time 2017-10-11
Location Serbian-Croatian border, close to Batrovci, Serbia
Reported by Rigardu
Coordinates 45.050394, 19.101044
Pushback from Croatia
Pushback to Serbia
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 20 - 20
Group size 1
Countries of origin Pakistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, personal information taken
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved Unknown
Violence used no violence used
Police involved catchment: some Croatian police officers, police station: 4-5 Croatian police officers, deportation: 2 Croatian police officers, transportation in closed police van

The man walked from Šid, Serbia, across the Serbian-Croatian border towards the West with his friends for several days, then continued alone by truck container and switched to walking near Rijeka, Croatia. After he reached a Croatian town near the Croatian-Slovenian border the inhabitants saw him and, he supposes, called the police. At night between Friday, 10th and Saturday, 11th of November 2017 he was apprehended by police officials described as Croatian. They questioned him about his personal details and how he came to Croatia, and the man expressed his intention to apply for asylum. The police proposed that he should get access to apply for asylum in Zagreb. The man was transported by a closed police van (the man didn’t see where they drove) to a local police station, where he amplified his intention to apply for asylum. 4-5 police officers collected information from him and detained him in a cell without taking photos or fingerprints for registering an asylum application. The man explained that he had been pushed back to Serbia several times from Slovenia and Croatia but should be allowed to take refuge. The police didn’t believe that he had been on the route alone, but the man tried to convince them. The detention lasted several, he supposes maybe 4-6 hours, and the man slept this whole time. After that the police declared that the man would be transported to Zagreb to be registered for asylum procedures. Two police officers transported the man in a closed police van (the man didn’t know where they drove) a long way. The man slept the whole time, but when he woke up to ask where they were going, asking for asylum, the police assured that he is going to Zagreb for that. In the end, the next night on Sunday 12th of November 2017 about 2 am, they arrived at the pushback spot to Serbian-Croatian border near Batrovci, Serbia (45.050394, 19.101044). The police in the van released the man outside and ordered him:

“Go back to Serbia“,

so the man ran to the Serbian side of the border and travelled back to Sid.