Skip to content
Support our work

You can't stay in Italy

Date & Time 2021-01-09
Location Port of Bari, Italy
Reported by No Name Kitchen
Coordinates 41.1327435, 16.8668087
Pushback from Italy
Pushback to Greece
Taken to a police station yes
Minors involved no
WLTI* involved no
Men involved yes
Age 20 - 20
Group size 1
Countries of origin Afghanistan
Treatment at police station or other place of detention detention, fingerprints taken, photos taken, personal information taken, papers signed, no translator present
Overall number of policemen and policewomen involved 5 Italian police officers (four policemen one policewoman)
Violence used beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, theft of personal belongings
Police involved

The respondent is a 20-year-old Afghan man. He describes that he was hiding on the underside of a truck which was subsequently loaded into a ferry on 31st August inside the port of Patras, Greece.

On the way to Bari, Italy, the ship’s security guards discovered him, arrested and hold him. The respondent also reports that he was kicked by the security guards. When they arrived at the port of Bari, the police were waiting for him, there were four men and a woman. Reportedly, they asked him if he wanted to stay in Italy or Greece; he answered “Italy”, and they told him “You can’t stay in Italy”. He said he wanted to speak to a lawyer, but they did not let him. He was beaten to the ground and then the police officers took all the belongings he was carrying: his mobile phone and wallet. They took his personal details and, later on, they handed him a document along with his belongings. Then, they put him on a boat back to Patras, Greece, where he was locked in a cell for 10 hours. He was given only a bottle of water during the journey, and the cell only contained a hole in the floor where he could relieve himself.

Document issued by the police stating that the person has 30 days to leave the country

Upon arrival in Patras, the police took him to the police station and took his personal details, his picture, and fingerprints. He stayed there for around two hours. They kept the papers given to him by the Italian police and gave him another document, according to which he is given 30 days (from 3 September) to leave the country. During that time, he is allowed to reside in Greece. He was released from the police station on 2nd August 2021 at 8:30 pm.